Do you start out your year with a word of the year? I have been doing this for a few years now. Last year my word was determination. I was determined to get certain things accomplished. I did get some things finished and/or started some I did not. But that is not going to stop me. I think almost everyone fails to accomplish all the resolutions that they set out to do. The trick is to just begin again and focus. Hence my word for 2020, FOCUS.
I have been attempting to brainstorm how I wanted this post to go. Particularity since it is the first post of the year and what I hope is a new start to this blog.
One of the blogs I regularly follow is Pretty Neat Living. A couple of days ago I received an email from Jen that was explaining her new youtube video entitled New Years Goals and Reflections/2020. She talked about her word of the year, her past words, and the areas in which her word would be applied and how it would help her grow in the these areas. Her video gave me the inspiration I was looking for in reference to my own word of the year and the areas of my life I am going to focus on.
I have chosen 7 areas in which to focus on; creative, memories, writing/reading, finances, relationships, spiritual, and home. I chose 7 because I perceive 7 to be the perfect number. God created the earth and man in 6 days and rested on the 7th day thus creating the number 7. These areas are not in any special order.
- Creative: In this area I want to focus more on this blog and my various art projects. As far as the blog goes I want to post at least twice a week this year. I also need to add some pages and work on some of the legal aspects of the blog. Many of my readers are aware of the many art and craft projects that I am continuously working on. My goal in this area is to participate in a vendor’s fair. This is something I have wanted to do for quite some time.
- Memories: Are you into paper of digital scrap booking? I used to scrapbook a lot. I have made paper scrapbooks for 2 of my children for presents as they got older. Maybe you are more into digital scrap booking. I have done these also for various family trips, granddaughter’s birthday, and grandchildren. I want to begin doing yearly photo books with the pictures I take throughout the year. My husband is always complaining that he never sees the pictures I take any more. It all takes planning and focus to stay on top of this goal.
- Reading/writing: I used to be an avid reader. I have never lost my love for reading; I just lost the time while I was working. Now that I have retired I have begun reading again. You will see the book reviews of the books I have been reading. I have also joined an online book club that my sister started. I not only like to the feel of the paper book, I enjoy reading books on my Kindle app and listening to books on Audible while commuting. One of the biggest goals I have had forever is to write a book. I have a partial story line, the first few pages and the title done. Now all I have to do is focus on getting it written. In order to help with this endeavor I have joined a writer’s guild at our local library.
- Finances: I recently retired so my income has dropped by 50%. This has made money a little tight, but not unmanageable. In order to help in this area I use several couponing apps and am constantly looking for sales. I have cut out all impulse buying.
- Relationships: I want to be more focused in fostering good relationships with those around me. My sister and I along with our husbands are planning on taking a cruise together. I am planning on patching a broken relationship with my brother.
- Spiritual: Currently my husband and I are attending a small country church on Sunday evenings. Although we feel very welcome there, neither of us are really involved in the church. I have not been involved in extra-curricular church activities, which I really miss. I need to begin my own daily devotions again also.
- Home: Although it is number 7 on my list it is certainly not the least of the areas I want to focus on this year. I am currently decluttering and then I plan on organizing cabinets, closets, and my craft room/office. I have just today donated a trunk and back seat load of things. I have found a few more things that didn’t quite make it to the boxes.
These are the various areas I plan to focus on this year. A couple of years I composed a list of 101 thing to do in 1001 days. This was my 2nd list. I don’t get everything done on these lists but it has proven to offer a guide for life goals. Click here to read the entire list.